Drama School Funding

Although some drama schools are funded in the same way as an ordinary university with Student loans for fees and maintenance there are some differences and it isn't always apparent which is which. I have detailed a summary below:

Degree awarded by a drama school/conservatoire with its own awarding powers eg RADA, LAMDA, LIPA
These are funded in the same way as a normal university degree. You take out a loan for the fees and are eligible for a maintenance loan dependent upon family income.

Degree awarded by a university but franchised out to a drama school or where the drama school is part of the university eg GSA, East 15.
Funded in the same way as above.

Degree conceived and taught by a drama school but accredited by a university eg Arts Ed, Mountview.
They have their own fee structure which are often a lot more but you can only take out a loan for a maximum £6k leaving a substantial shortfall. Maintenance loans can be applied for.

Level 6 Trinity Diploma taught by a drama school eg Arts Ed, Oxford School of Drama.
Not a full degree but you can do a one year academic top up by distance learning. Fees are often higher than a degree. You audition for a place and then you auditon again to be given a Dance & Drama Award. This is not a loan and is paid direct to the drama school for fees. Low income families will get all fees paid, higher income families will have to top up on a sliding scale.

The scale is here www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales-2018-to-2019-academic-year

There are no maintenance loans available.

You cannot be awarded both student loan finance AND a DaDa.